Friday, September 10, 2010

If you're looking to save a little $$...


consider cloth diapering! We've used cloth diapers on both our kiddos and have definitely saved a ton of money, not to mention that we've prevented pounds of diapers from being tossed into the landfill.

I tell my friends who are interested in cloth diapering (CDing) that they can get all they need for the diapering life of their child for about $500. That includes about 24 diapers, a diaper sprayer (highly recommend) and the appropriate detergent for cloth diapering. That, compared to the average of $20/week in diapers x 2 years (usually a little longer), which is a total of $2080. And, the great thing about the cloth diapers is that you can usually use them for another child if you're willing to replace the elastic in them (which is easy), or you can often find a buyer on something like craigslist too. I've never heard of anyone wanting to buy used disposables...but you'll find many mommies looking to take advantage of a good deal on some used cloth diapers. Cotton Babies, has a program where you can get cash for your used cloth diapers, so this is another option to be considered.

My favorite site to purchase cloth diapers, and find out about how to use them, is cottonbabies.com. The staff there are super-helpful as well when you run into questions on your CDing journey. I have used the Bum Genius 2.0 and 3.0 diapers. They now have a 4.0, which I would recommend, as it comes with snaps rather than the velcro. The velcro is a quick and easy option, however, when your kiddos get a little larger, they like to try to de-robe themselves of their diapers...which is not cool. And so then, you've always got to have shorts/pants on them and you don't get to see their cute cloth-covered bum.

Here is my little guy in his cloth covered bum this morning.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Cloth Diapers can also be purchased through me at www.everythingbirth.com using the code JVW10 for 5% off! I love cottonbabies as well, but we carry some items that they do not. Way to spread the word Em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, We so want to do cloth diapers, but I am SO confused about what to get. There are a million types by a million companies. I would LOVE to talk to you about it very soon. Our 2nd baby is due in Feb and I'd like to get the first one in them as soon as possible. Ignorance has caused me to not move forward at all regarding this decision. :0)

    ReplyDelete