Friday, January 14, 2011

Giving our everything to the Lord

In our class at church, we've been studying the book of Acts. This past week, we looked at Acts 4. Toward the end of the chapter, it talks about the people who believe in Christ selling everything they own and coming together, so that everyone's needs can be provided for. They gave it all up for the better of the whole.

Acts 32-27: The Believers Share Their Possessions
 32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. 33 With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all 34 that there were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned land or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales 35 and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone who had need.
 36 Joseph, a Levite from Cyprus, whom the apostles called Barnabas (which means “son of encouragement”), 37 sold a field he owned and brought the money and put it at the apostles’ feet.


While we were reading the chapter, I was reminded of a book I recently read with Ashley about sharing. The book talked about the importance of sharing with others, but it also introduced the concept of putting away/keeping out of reach things that are very special to us that we want to make sure others don't break or misuse. Though arguably a valid solution for teaching our children, I have to consider what things I hold so dear to my heart that I'm not willing to put out there, to share, to risk that they get mistreated. I guess we should probably appropriately name those things our "idols." This week, I'm left to consider, what are my idols? What am I holding back from the Lord, what are those things in my life that get in the way of me being "one in heart and mind" with the body of believers in Christ.

Lord, please help each of us to recognize that EVERYTHING is YOURS. We just SHARE it. Lord, help me to  be willing to "share" all you've entrusted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment