Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The little children in China...

So, we're full-force into the "why" stage of life these days. And well, any other generally inquisitive question you might think of. So, after you gag because realize just how many things in your daily life you've purchased from Walmart, you get the question of "who made this." My new answer..."the little children in China." Ashley's response..."wasn't that nice of them?"
Yes, yes it was...except when you think about how many things "the little children in China made" for you to buy. It starts to wear on the heart. I don't know...maybe we could somehow get everyone on board with the idea of each girl having one corn-husk doll that grandma makes for her and each boy having just one wooden gun. And the two of them can share a sock horse on a stick and a sock monkey. Anybody on board with that? Just think of how many FEWER things we'd have to pick up at the end of each day to put in their places.

Okay, okay, enough ranting...but it is worth considering. Just how much of what we purchase was made by little kids in sweat shops? I'm not sure I really want to know the answer here.

On another topic, well kind-of, I think that we are all humoring ourselves to say that God has given these children to us to raise. I'm beginning to think God sends the children to us to help us to grow up and receive a few instructions, and to provide little mirrors into the depths of our lives that we so often ignore.

And, still, on another topic. Please pray for our friend Carrie and her family. She was in our youth group when we worked with the teens at our church in Richardson. She lost her dad very unexpectedly just over 3 years ago. She lost her mom just a few days ago. She's only 20 and both of her parents have already passed. Wow...I cannot imagine. We went to see her tonight at the visitation and she looked pretty well wiped out. Anyhow, if the Lord burdens your heart for her, please just pray for her and clarity and endurance as she recovers and presses forward with the things the Lord has placed in her heart. She has an amazing heart for the Lord and He has gifted her in some very special ways.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man. You are too funny. Zac and I were both laughing. Yeah, not a fan of Walmart and such... Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Emily, I am RIGHT there with you. I have lost my patience so many times this month. Afterwards always comes condemnation and the downward spiral begins. I always lose my cool when I feel totally exhausted and overwhelmed. I for one am glad to hear of your confession. Makes you real in my eyes and very human. I am constantly in prayer about needing His strength to make it through. Sometimes a minute at a time. This morning was a BAD one for me...
    Love you
    Amy

    ReplyDelete